Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Ministry to scrap tender for e-bracelets for convicts

ČTK |
30 April 2013

Prague, April 29 (CTK) - The Czech Justice Ministry Monday announced its decision to scrap the ongoing tender for the supply of e-bracelets for monitoring convicts in home arrest as the supply may be excessive in view of the real number of convicts, and it will put up a new tender by June, Stepanka Cechova said.

Cechova, the ministry's spokeswoman, told CTK that the number of convicts sentenced to home arrest has declined as a result of the amnesty the then outgoing president Vaclav Klaus declared on New Year's Day.

A month ago, the ministry asserted that the e-bracelet system will start operating in the middle of the year.

Cechova said Monday that the ministry has had to "thoroughly revise" the public tender as a result of the amnesty.

The original tender could be found financially overdone because it reckoned with the average number of convicts as registered before the amnesty, Cechova said.

Home arrest as an alternative sentence has taken roots in the Czech Republic only slowly. Many judges are reluctant to impose this sentence because the system of convicts' monitoring is yet to be set up by the state.

Since January 2010, when the sentence was introduced in the Czech Republic, convicts in home arrest have been randomly checked by the Probation and Mediation Service staff instead of being permanently under electronic control.

There were 359 convicts in home arrest in the 10.5-million country at the end of 2012. The New Year presidential amnesty granted pardon to all of them.

The deadline for e-bracelets' introduction has been postponed several times so far. The order that the ministry is going to scrap was worth 275 million crowns and was to secure the supply of 500 e-bracelets, their technical maintenance and the supply of a technical know how and a monitoring centre.

Copyright 2014 by the Czech News Agency (ČTK). All rights reserved.
Copying, dissemination or other publication of this article or parts thereof without the prior written consent of ČTK is expressly forbidden. The Prague Daily Monitor and Monitor CE are not responsible for its content.