Kladno, Central Bohemia, Nov 29 (CTK) – The Czech police have been searching for the origin of the lethal alcohol that was the cause of methanol poisoning of a 66-year-old man who died of it after being treated in hospital on Sunday, Kladno police spokeswoman Michaela Novakova told CTK.
The man was brought with alcohol poisoning the the Kladno hospital one week ago. His health condition was serious.
The search for the dangerous alcohol may last even several weeks.
In September 2012, people started dying of methanol poisoning in the Czech Republic. The scandal known as the methanol affair claimed 48 lives. Most of the victims came from Moravia, the eastern part of the country. The two makers of the poisonous bootleg spirits were sentenced to life, and the main distributor should spend in prison 15 years.
Within the measures taken after the deaths from drinking illegally produced alcohol started, the sales and serving of liquors were temporarily banned in the country as well as their exports from the country. The Health Ministry lifted the last measure in October 2013.
According to the reports from late 2013, the police failed to reveal about 2000 litres out of 15,000 litres of the illegal lethal alcohol. This remaining alcohol might have been destroyed by distributors, but this has not been proved.