Prague, Nov 24 (CTK) – Prague has cancelled tourist guided tours of the underground tunnels that carry utility networks mainly under the city centre citing security measures taken in connection with the recent terrorist attacks in Paris, Jana Janeckova, from Kolektory Praha, said yesterday.
“Based on the current security situation and with regard to an analysis of the current security risks, we have decided to close the tunnels to the public,” Kolektory Praha board president Petr Hejma said.
Prague has joined other European capitals and introduced security measures in reaction to the Prais attacks that claimed 130 lives and injured dozens of people last week.
Within the measures, Prague has also cancelled the festive lighting of a Christmas tree in the Old Town Square in Prague centre that annually attracted thousands of people.
A majority of Prague politicians disagree with this. Mayor Adriana Krnacova (ANO) agreed with the measure heeding a police recommendation, though she herself considers it exaggerated.
The Prague tunnels measure a total of 90 kilometers. On Wednesday, firefighters will train the rescuing of a person who got stuck underground.
“The training is part of regular security prevention, but it is also connected with the current security situation after the terrorist attacks,” Janeckova said.